Have something to say? Feel free to email me at azgirl14@hotmail.com. I'd love to hear from you!
Tuesday, July 15, 2014
Broken Hearts
What do you say to someone when their only child passes away. At 27. From cancer.
Luigi (Lou or Cheeko to those of us in the inner circles) was one of the most vibrant, caring, kind souls I have ever encountered. He and my brother (pictured) were best friends from the day they met. We lived one house away and he and my brother were fast friends. The three of us spent many summer days driving the tractor around, building tree forts and running through the field behind our houses. He couldn't pronounce my brother's name (Jeremy) and would come over asking my mom if Germany could come to play. Although their lives took different paths, they kept in touch and stayed friends. I talked to him every time I went to the grocery store and saw him at the meat counter. He always asked how things were going and never had a bad thing to say. Smiles always.
I won't go into the details of the final months of his life. It's sad and tragic and not the memories that I want to endure of this special man. Instead I will describe my feelings as such:
We knew there was a tidal wave of emotion coming. We, your family and friends, stood on the shores and held hands. Joined together, we watched the wave form, grow and head towards us. We thought we were ready but when the wave finally crashed Thursday night, it washed us all away with it. Our bonds were broken and we were taken into the depths of despair, heartache and grief. We swirled under this wave all weekend and until Monday morning when we said our final goodbyes and laid your body to rest. It was then that we rose to the surface and noticed that while we were all spread out, we had survived. We each have a separate and special journey back to the shore over the days, months and years as we tread the waters of memories of you. Over time, we will reach the shore again and together join hands and hold onto each other as a means of holding onto you. I know that that day, while far away from now, you will shine the sun down on us.
We miss you so very much, our dear Luigi. Rest in peace, my brother.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment