Have something to say? Feel free to email me at azgirl14@hotmail.com. I'd love to hear from you!

Saturday, September 14, 2013

Scaring Mama

Dear Munchie,

You aren't going to make this easy on me, huh?  Well, one thing you should know is your mama is a fighter.  That's a story for another time.  You and I (and your dad and Auntie Julie) have had a quite eventful couple of days.  Here's the story for you.

On Thursday night, I went to visit your Aunt Corrie, Uncle Adrian and little Pippa.  It was nice to take refuge with them in the big city of Toronto because your mama was otherwise alone.  We went to a book launch and suddenly, as I stood there, I could feel my feet swelling.  Then my ankles.  Then my legs.  It was quick and I went to seek shelter on a bench.  We didn't stay much longer but it was clear when I got back to the hotel that something was really wrong.  My feet were so swollen I didn't have ankles anymore!  Now swelling is generally something that just comes with pregnancy, but not this early my little one and certainly not this bad.  I drank some water, put my feet up and we went to sleep.

In the morning, things were the same so I spent the morning in bed.  Got some room service and kept my feet up.  I wasn't too concerned.  We made our way to the train and started the trek home.  I talked to your Grandma on the way who convinced me that this is was probably more serious than I wanted to believe and so after we arrived in Windsor, I made my way to the car and called Telehealth right then and there.  Roxanne, the nice RN who happened to get my call, took down my symptoms and told me I needed to get to the nearest ER within 3 hours.  This was not the reaction I thought I would get and now your mama was downright terrified.  To top things off, you were being rather quiet and that scared me too.  I called your daddy who was at work and as he tried to find someone to come and be with me, I called your Auntie Julie too.  She's amazing and rushed right over to the hospital to be with us.  The doctor thought your mama was being paranoid at first but once I told him about all the risk factors I had, he changed his tune.  They were worried about 3 things: DVT (blood clots), preeclampsia and infection.  None of these are good, but two of them are really bad.  We got checked out and only had an infection requiring antibiotics.

Your daddy was sweet and took me to my appointments and let me rest all weekend and after a few days the swelling went away.  Don't scare me so much little Munchie!

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment