Have something to say? Feel free to email me at azgirl14@hotmail.com. I'd love to hear from you!

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Organization What?

So I've been completely slacking on my "Organize Now" challenge.  I guess the truth is that I saw that one coming.  Not quite enough hours in the day and my body has been telling me to recharge during the holidays but instead, I can clearly see that we need to get this thing going!  The holidays always bring shiny, special new things and now we need to find a home for all of our new treasures.  I've decided to be a little unconventional and pick a room to organize instead of going week by week like the book says.  Today's challenge: our bedroom.

The issues:
Our bedroom is a huge source of frustration for me.  We have a LOT of clothes.  Work clothes, play clothes, special occasion clothes...  the list goes on.  It's partially my fault because I HATE (which really means loathe) laundry.  This being the case, I will wear just about everything before I decide to do laundry.  It's a really bad habit which causes great problems in our bedroom because there is always laundry everywhere.  Well, my first new year's resolution is this: DO MORE LAUNDRY.

The challenge steps:  Technically Week 36: Organize Your Master Bedroom

  1. The book talks about how your bedroom is supposed to be a sanctuary and that means that anything not related to sleeping or relaxing has got to go.  So this is step one and probably the hardest step of them all.
  2. Clean out from under the bed.  This one is already mostly done.  We keep all of our off season and "this doesn't quite fit but I am committed to someday wearing these clothes that made me look hot" clothes under there in those vacuum seal bags.  Side note: these things are awesome!  There isn't a whole lot of space under our bed to store items but these bags definitely do the trick.
  3. Clean off the bedside tables/dressers and ensure that products go where they belong.  This is completely a space where we store "junk".  Somehow, everything just ends up there and now it's time to find a home.
  4. Go through dresser drawers one at a time.  This is the time that you purge everything you would be embarrassed to be wearing during a car accident.  Remember, if you don't want a beautiful/handsome paramedic seeing it, it's time to go.  This will be the most difficult challenge for us.  I have a lot of sentimental attachment to clothes (the dress I wore to prom, the shirt I went to my first concert in...) but I can already feel like I'm ready to start letting go.  I put on a shirt just yesterday that I've had since Grade 10 but the sleeves were short, my belly was showing and I immediately took it off and put it into a donation pile.  I know that while I have lots of memories of that shirt, I will never want my belly hanging out again and last time I checked, I'm not getting any shorter.
  5. Focus on the windows - wash the curtains, wash the windows, wash, wash, wash.
I'm hoping that this will help us to get our lives more organized.  I know that when things are in chaos, I have a huge problem relaxing and focusing and with a tiny space, this is even more important as the frustration is epic sometimes.

Here's to today's challenge: our bedroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment